Welcome

I want to welcome you to my blog. I will share my art, creative process and a little of myself with you. My life as a Artist has been interesting and full of adventures. Come along with me as we explore the world and how the artist sees it.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

At Rest - Step by Step development of the Painting.


P
Pencil sketch, then washed in purple over sketch to lock in the design.  This gives me a better look at the composition and allows me to make any changes before I start, sometimes I will do more shading then I have here.  But I want the sky to be the focus so letting that happen first.

Stage 2 sky colors block in.  With a large brush I have put in the base colors for the sky.  Slightly blended with a Badger Blender.  Will work up the sky with finer detail as we go.  Added some of the sky color to the water in front of Mt Susitna ( The Sleeping Lady ).

Stage 3 - The Sky is mostly done.  I have painted Mt Susitna and the Alaska Range behind Mt. Susitna.  Painted in the water colors and shadows.  Started blocking in the Fishing Boat and foreground.   Will definately have to cool down the forground.  But it is time to run some errands and spend some time with my lovely wife Donna.  Will get back to it on Sunday.

Stage 4 - Good start this sunday morning, cooled down the foreground.  Worked up the water to a more complete stage.   Will work the midground unpainted area next, then start on the boat.

Stage 5 - Finished. I cooled down the foreground even more.  Painted in the Midground hills.  Shifted the values so that the distance is the main focus, and the boat secondary focal point.  Adjusted the water more and did some clean up and slight tweeking.

 
My Palette - Shows my palette colors and mixing area.  Being Right handed I keep it on a cart on my right side.  Learning to keep my mixes small areas and not use more paint then I need.
 
 

2 comments:

Chris_tina said...

Love it dad! It's Paragon abandoned on the beach lol I cannot believe you can do that in ONE DAY!
So jealous :P
Love u

Kurt said...

Christina it was over two days. Probably could have finished it in one day, but needed to run some errands and spend time with Donna too.