Welcome

I want to welcome you to my blog. I will share my art, creative process and a little of myself with you. My life as a Artist has been interesting and full of adventures. Come along with me as we explore the world and how the artist sees it.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Painting Process Step 2


Step 2 Painting Process - The Undercoat Layer
I use a thin wash of Alkyd Paint ( a fast drying paint - dries in 12 hours ) to wash in the compostion over the pencil sketch. Then using a thicker layer of Alkyd paint I begin to block in the painting, just keeping lights and darks in mind. I am not trying to define the painting at all, just want it to be very loose and blocky. I will let this sit for a day, go back and evaluate the compostion, color, lights and darks, and figure out where I want my central point of interest. This is the stage where I can make major changes, and add or delete items in the painting. Alkyds have a very Matt apperance when they dry, when I add the oils the glossy appearance I like will take over. I will next start the begining of laying in Traditional Oils over top of the undercoat.

No comments: