Welcome

I want to welcome you to my blog. I will share my art, creative process and a little of myself with you. My life as a Artist has been interesting and full of adventures. Come along with me as we explore the world and how the artist sees it.

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Art Lives In Homer

Support of Artists is strong in Homer Alaska

I opened a month show in the Fireweed Gallery in Homer Alaska last Friday. Homer is a small Port town at the end of the road (as the saying goes). One of the beautiful spots in Alaska. Homer is one of the places I escape to from the "big city" of Anchorage. It is a fishing and tourist destination, but also a Art Community. Lots of really talented artists live in Homer and the surrounding area. More important to me is that the community really strongly supports the arts. This was a First Friday opening, and there was a lot of the gallerys having shows, since this was my first show in Homer, was not to sure how much of a turn out we would have, boy was I thrilled to see the response that the show recieved. We were busy the whole time of the show. Sold some paintings and was able to talk with customers that came to see the opening. Talking with another artist who had a opening also in one of the other galleries, there attendance was good also. The community routinely turns out for all the openings, it is a social event and they support the artists by coming, purchasing and appreciating the art. My prior shows have mainly been in Anchorage the "big city", the difference that I experienced was the genuine appreciation that the Homer citizens expressed about artists coming to their community and exhibiting their artwork. They were not near as reserved, they all were willing to talk and ask questions. I want to thank Fireweed Gallery for giving me the opportunity to show my work in Homer, and to thank all the folks who came to the show and made me feel so welcome. I look forward to doing another show in Homer in the future.

No comments: