Welcome

I want to welcome you to my blog. I will share my art, creative process and a little of myself with you. My life as a Artist has been interesting and full of adventures. Come along with me as we explore the world and how the artist sees it.

Monday, December 27, 2010

Saying Goodbye To Grandma & Grandpa Lindsey

This painting I painted as a surprise present for my wife, for Christmas.   This painting has a emotional, poignant  meaning to Donna.  Last September Shaunna (in the picture) and Christina went to the site of where my wife and her siblings combined the ashes of their parents (Sherman & Rae Lindsey),  Shaunna came to say goodbye.
As a artist I decided to use photo editing software to move Shaunna from the right of the picture closer to the tree on the left of the picture (see above picture).
 
 
 I then took the edited photo out to the studio and sketched it onto the Gesso Board I decided to paint onto.  I just did a outline sketch.   Sometimes I do a full shaded black and white sketch, but did not feel I needed it I had a pretty good idea where I was going with this painting.  I anchored the sketch with a fixative spray.




I then washed in a thinned paint layer to block in the main compositional elements.  As you can see I was not trying to do any work up of the image.   My goal with this stage is just to recheck the composition and its elements.  I was satisfied with what I had so I then began by painting in the ocean and distant land.  Working forward I began to paint the rest of the painting, taking time to stop and re-evaluate as I went.







Donna was thrilled with her Painting.  Nothing is better as a artist to know you have created something that has meaning to someone.  I painted this painting for my soul mate, and it came from the love I have for her.

2 comments:

Karla said...

What a beautiful painting and what a thoughtful gift. You get a "husband gold star"!

Kurt said...

Thank you Karla, I need as many Gold Stars as I can get